The Wedding

“Why the long face Anastasia? This is the day you’ve been dreaming about since you were five years old.”

Anastasia sent a forced smile her mother’s way as she put her diamond earrings in. “I’m just tired, mother. Don’t worry about me.” She admired her mother’s emerald green dress. “You look stunning,” she smiled, this time genuine.

Her mother playfully twirled, placing a hand on her hip. “I try. I want to cry looking at you. You look amazing, all dressed up like a princess. Derrick is going to go crazy when he sees you walking down that aisle.”

Anastasia’s eye twitched. “I hope so.’

Just then, the door opened, revealing Anastasia’s sister and best friend, Athena. Her black ringlets that framed her face slightly swayed as she leaned in the doorway.

“It’s time!” She squealed out of excitement. After taking a calming breath, Anastasia stood up and Athena handed her her bouquet, which was entirely yellow roses. Her mother got behind her and picked up her train.

It was a short five minute walk to the wedding venue, but Anastasia felt like it had taken hours. She wasn’t really feeling like walking down the aisle, to be honest. Especially since the information about Derrick she had found out three weeks ago had her irate.

She was shaken from her thoughts by the traditional wedding march playing, and the big oak doors opened, revealing the Paris-themed venue and the guests. They all stood up to stare at her, the majority pulling out their phones to record, and why shouldn’t they? Derrick Claybrooks, international hip-hop star was getting married to Anastasia Swain, self-made billionaire and mogul.

Little did the guests know that what Anastasia had planned was far from the cute, sappy wedding that they were hoping to see.

Anastasia spotted Derrick immediately, his eyes staring at her with nothing but pure love and affection. She plastered the brightest of smiles on her face, while she fought with herself to not act a complete fool in the church. Her gaze turned to Athena, who had the audacity to cry. Anastastia internally scoffed as she finally met her husband at the altar. Derrick was grinning like the Kool-Aid man.

She blocked out the pastor’s words until he said, “The couple has decided to say their own vows.”

She perked up, and motioned for Derrick to go first. Derrick, half shocked, gulped and took a folded piece of notebook paper out of his pocket.

“Anastasia Beverly Matthews, I never would’ve thought that this day would happen for me. For a long time, I had it drilled into my head that no woman would be able to look past my money and actually see my heart. You, Anastasia, have seen the purest parts of my mind, body, and soul, and I can’t see myself with anyone but you. I promise to love you physically ad spiritually, for all the days of my life. I love you Stasia.”

Anastasia took a deep breath, forcing herself to to remember that all he just said was a lie. Once upon a time, she was his one and only, but ever since he became Beyonce-level famous, he began to stray.

“Derrick, if anybody had told me that I would be getting married to you, I would laugh in their face. Even in the beginning of our relationship i had my doubts on if we were going to last. Today, I can’t help but to laugh at the lies that are spilling from your mouth about loving me.”

Derrick’s smile faded, and turned into a thin line while gasps emanated from the guests. Her smile as bright as the sun, she turned from Derrick’s tall frame and to the guests.

“Ladies and gentleman, three weeks ago, I found out that my now ex-fiance has been cheating on me with my very own sister, Athena, the entire time that we’ve been together. Athena is now three months pregnant with his baby. So, while he’s going to be taking care of my sister, I’m going to be enjoying the honeymoon in Jamaica. Goodbye.”

Anastasia turned her glare on Athena, who’s mouth was agape. Ana really wanted to cry, but her anger overpowered that emotion. Taking off her engagement ring, she threw it to Derrick and ran out the church, the tears flowing down her face and her train floating up in the air.

One thought on “The Wedding